Saturday, March 20, 2010

Rap music?

Leon is listening to my iphone and nodding his head to a newly downloaded Dan le Sac and Scroobius Pip album, The Logic of Chance. Now, it would be ironic to be snobbish about this album as there is a track on there clearly putting music snobbery in it's place but I can't help being proud of playing this in my house around my kids when the rest of the world seem to be getting their toddlers to learn dances to Jedward (god I hate to even type the word).
Down the pub last night with the mums, they were sharing about the dance lessons just started with their girls and how they know the steps and 'words' to Ice Ice Baby - the Jedward version, this almost put me off my curry. I want to start Leon at dance lessons in September but faced with the prospect of him having to learn to dance to Ice Ice Baby, I hope to god I can find a class with even just a small semblance of musical appreciation.
My Mummy friends are lovely people and mostly better educated/qualified/brought up than me but not one of them seemed to even blink at the idea that it might be cringe worthy. Is that dross so normal? I hate the fact that most chart music is so unpleasant to listen to now. Give me Front 242, The Stooges, NoMeansNo, Art Brut, Pink Floyd, Blondie, even Madonna they are original, passionate, sometimes hard to listen to - not to be pushed into the back ground. Faced with the demise of 6music, I know I can't shield my kids from the likes of Xfactor, I'm sure they will have the ability to choose for themselves, but will there be dance lessons that dance to music worth dancing too? God I hope so. Ok, so I don't expect them to be providing lessons for 3 year olds dancing to Rammestein but what about Little Boots? Lily Allen? Black Eyed Peas? Maybe even a bit of Debussy :)

No comments: