Monday, May 01, 2006

the garden!

On sunday I did finally get to the garden centre, Soham Nurseries, which i found very impressive, we bought zillions of baby plants and two bags of soil, one organic for the veg plot and one general perpose for the pots and to put a bit on the beds front and back AND some terracotta pots! it came to about £40 which i was most relieved.
We had lunch at Ellen and Dans and delivered the 3 climbing plants we got for Ellen. Then I spent 3 hours on the garden, digging over a bit and re-doing some of the pots I already had plus filling the new ones. I made a total of 7 pots, each with a selection of plants, some bedding front and back and the veg plot has tomatoes, lettuce, purple sprouting broccoli and corgettes; one at each end trailing in oposite directions hopefully :) the picture is to see it now, beginning of may and I'm going to try to remember to take a picture every few weeks to see how they grow. I still have to get more soil to do the indoor ones - both edible, sweet peppers and some house plants to replace the ones I've managed to kill over the winter. Major casualties being the fig tree that went outside too early and got frosted and the olive that just didn't like being indoors - the 2nd I've managed to kill. Oh well. I've got some nice easy succulents and ferns this time.
We went to Hyde Park for Bank Holiday Monday for Stef's Picnic thing. It rained all morning and we weren't optimistic the weather would hold but by the time we got into London the sun was shining here and there and it stayed dry all afternoon with bits and piece of sun. It wasn't super warm, I ended buying a hot chocolate as appose to an icecream!
We headed back early evening and I cooked poached trout with artichokes and purple sprouting brocolli, with a garlic and mushroom fish sauce. very nice.
Mustn't forget, tomorrow I have an appt at the doctors to give some blood for the triple test. I also have my 15 week midwife appt on thursday. Posted by Picasa

No comments: