Thursday, July 09, 2009

What was I doing 20 years ago today?

It was 1989 and I was 18. To be honest I can only guess bits now. I think I'd just dumped Richard for being a clingy mad person (he sectioned himself a while later), I was probably living between my Dad's and across the road at Wendy's. At some point, this couple turned up, they lived in a big old black bus called the Bluebell bus with bluebells painted up the side. They had two kids, Rowan was 7 and Heather was about 6 months. They were heading off to a festival down in Cornwall, I was fed up with life in Newbury and decided to hitch a ride with them. Over night I became a sort of live in traveller opair. I looked after Heather for Sue and we all slept in this bus. There was a cot, a double bed up the end and Rowan and I slept on mattresses on the floor I think. When we first arrived in Treworgy, we were on the top of a hillside about a fortnight before the festival was due to start. The weather was really hot and dry and we filled most of our days pottering about, playing with the kids, getting stoned and the occasional day trip to some standing stones. Then when the festival started we moved to another field 'the travellers field' as appose to the campers and nothing much changed really. I only ventured on to the festival site a couple of times it was really hot and dusty, I don't think it had rained for about a month. Living next to our bus was another bus, a vintage M orris van that was also converted to live in an the owner was a tatoo artist who did all the festivals over the summer and for some reason was taking this festival offsite as a kind of holiday I suppose. At some point he mentioned he wanted a haircut, a mohecan I think, i offered to cut his hair in return for a tattoo, or he offered I can't remember. Either way he got a haircut to his satisfaction and he gave me a tattoo. The design I came up with was bigger than I think he'd intended and he had run out of the stencils they use to do Celtic bands which at the time were rare and only just being seen out and about. Lucky for me I didn't get a Celtic band as everyone was getting them and they became soooo common. I got my tree tattoo. The only other person I know with a tree tattoo is Justin the singer from New Model Army. When the festival ended I'd got tired of Sue and Steve for numerous reasons - living in someone elses family is enough reason, I tagged along with a group closer to my own age, they ended up arguing and there was much gossip back and forth. In the end I tired of them too and ended up on a site that was effectively a layby just outside Hereford with nothing but a tent and a bag, surrounded by brew crew and finding out that life on the road as a traveller was really pretty rough actually and as I was lucky enough to have family I could return to, that's what I should do. I returned home to Newbury and enrolled in the College to have a 2nd try at A levels, this time, Music, Photography and Theatre Studies. I found a job part time at a health food store, called Sun Store. I think I lasted about a term. By 1990, I'd started temping for Vodafone which to me I might have well been working for the gestapo. The only thing keeping me sane was playing Sax in a Dub Reggae band called Kindred Spirit based just outside Hungerford. I saved enough for a trip over to Holland to visit my mum and decided to have a try at living in Holland. I stayed there for 10 very happy years.

No comments: