Sunday, July 23, 2006

A weekend at home for a change. Well timed with the farmers market. Having been busy and away for god knows how many weekends, this one was a weekend of cleaning the house from top to toe, weeding the garden, cutting the grass and restocking the fridge etc.
Saturday morning spent with me doing upstairs and Tob doing downstairs, corner to corner. After lunch down the market and waitrose. Back in time to rush in the washing while the mother of all thunderstorms filled the garden with 2 inches of rain puddle. The black rubbish sack out the back door, the door mat and a pot plant I put out to give a bit of rain started floating. When it finally slowed down I went out, paddling ankle deep to tidy up the aftermath. The water soon drained away thankfully.
I watched a film, Pride and Predudice 2005. Not bad. Still like the Colin Firth version better. While tob played Wow, leveling madly. Introducing me to his pet wolves.
Sunday, up early to do the lawn and weeding. Perfect after the rain. We filled 4 green sacks and the composter with weeds and grass. After a prolonged kitchen clean due to strawberry melt down in the fridge which meant a total fridge clean, I retired to bed for an hour before Melissa, Rudi, Amelia and Phillipa arrived.
They came armed with a bouncer, moses basket, baby bath, stand that fits both bath and basket, loads of new born clothes, a present - a grow bag (great present) and bedding for the moses basket. Excellent stuff. I can see a sort out of clothes coming on, we have so much and I will need to get it sorted into when I'll need them and wash them as needed.
We had a fabulous afternoon with Melissa, Rudi and their two girls Amelia (2 1/2 ish I think she's 3 in September) and Phillipa (6months). Melissa shared with me how she's doing and I tried to absorb as much good mum stuff as I could. Between, Melissa, Sue over the road and Sarah the Goth, I've got some good examples of sensible, well sorted parenting skills they've developed since giving birth.
I cooked the Ostrich Sausages, tatty salad from fresh new potatos dug up only yesterday from Dan's veg patch, salad, roast fennel and roast mushrooms which went down a treat followed by raspberry jelly with raspberries and icecream.
I think it was a very good weekend. I'm looking forward to seeing me Mum on Wednesday too.

No comments: