Monday, March 13, 2006

Stereotypes and Medievel Obscenites...

Friday eve, we watched Firefly and all the DVD extras again!
Saturday I went to the sounds expo at Olympia. By the time I got to Earls Court to get the train to Olympia, I found myself on a platform with about 1000 Indian people of all ages and at first thought
'I've been in East Anglia for too long' then
'These people can't possibly be going to a sound engineers expo at Olympia 2 - I wonder what's on at Olympia 1...'
I finally asked a white middle aged couple if they knew what was on, it was an overseas property expo. I started laughing - Of course! The middle aged couple (the other stereo type for overseas property) they couldn't quite get it though. Then when we got on the train, there was a teenage Indian girl who looked at me and we both started laughing at the stereotypical nature of our circumstances. I was stood next to a black guy in a cool hat, I said
'I guess you are going to the sounds expo' he said yes and we chatted the rest of the way to the Expo about our plans and our families etc.
The expo was smaller than I expected and I had expected a wider range of products. I saw some amazing demos and picked up some brochures on studio supplies and talked to a few people. I talked to a guy who runs 3 day sound and recording courses in Islington - crash courses for people who are maybe musicians who want to get the basics, the course was designed to give you all the important bits of info if you need to record and produce something. I liked the sound of that as it would be good for me to get a background knowledge plus we talked about holding courses at the Plugin in Ely - I'm sure periodically we could muster enough people to hold one in Ely.
It was bitterly cold in London, met my Dad at Kings Cross about 4pm and we headed up to Ely. I'd got tickets to see the RSC perform the Canterbury Tales in Littleport Leisure Centre! it was Fab!
After eating a delish curry that Toby cooked we got picked up by Tob's parents and driven to Littleport for 3 and a half hours of Royal Shakespeare Company excellence. Sword fights, sex scenes, poo, rude words, and religious peculiarities - Chaucer in other words. It took a bit to tune into but it was so well done and funny that it was very universal - I think it's a semi-translation into 16th century English so it sounds more like Shakespeare.
Sunday Rowing, Sunday night I did an ostrich roast for the parents which went down well, we watched the best of the Muppets taped from Saturday night which was sadly disappointing in that it didn't actually show anything for more than 10 seconds and so to bed, another week awaits...

No comments: