Monday, March 27, 2006

10 weeks - feeling sick most of the time, I can sleep for England.

The weekend was really nice! including the rain as I spent time planting summer bulbs, lettuce and kale. I might be taking a bit of a gamble considering it might freeze again but hey, it was a good weekend for gardening.Having spent Sunday morning in the garden, I spent the afternoon in the bath, followed by a sleep then watched Planet Earth in the evening - all about caves. I've been to some of the caves in Mexico - not the ones you have to absail into - the ones I visited involved canoes and torches. It was nice to re-visit them though - it was an amazing thing to see, once you get inside they open out like cathedrals.
I had a phone call from Erik from Holland end of last week, He'd heard via via that I was up the duff and wanted to congratulate me. We had a long conversation Sunday evening about this and that while I made shepherds pie, just in time for Planet Earth. It was with him, coincidentally I visited those caves in the Yucatan 10 years ago. Seems like a lifetime ago.
The next couple of weeks are pivotal in the baby's future - it's the 'fuel tank' transfer to the placenta that if that doesn't happen properly it's that that causes most of the 'M' words.
According the the BBC guide, this is what's happening this week:
The fetus makes plenty of movements, and can wave arms and legs, but you won't feel anything for several weeks yet. The outlines of tiny fingers and toes are just visible, though there are no fully-formed nails yet, and the digits are still fused together. The external genitals of the fetus are visible – before now, there has been no clear difference between boys and girls. The fetus can now wee, and the urine is discharged into the amniotic fluid surrounding it.
and the crucial one - this should happen by the end of this week:
The umbilical cord is fully formed around now, and doing its job of taking nourishment to the developing fetus, as well as taking waste products away.

No comments: