Monday, May 18, 2009

Gardening

I'm really getting into Gardeners World at the moment and have received my Dig In seeds. I planted the carrots and lollo Rosso salad yesterday among other things. I'm getting quite involved these days - yesterday I re potted a dozen baby lavender plants I've grown from seed and I'm hardening off some delphiniums and Echinaea, also grown from seed. I've been using the conservatory as a green house and I've now got loads of bigger pots in there with coriander and basil plants getting larger (also from seed!). Then there's the sweet peas in there too, The pots are quite big but maybe not as big as they'd like, they are the biggest I've got at the mo.
While I was out there Sunday, I heard someone shouting from behind the garden, at first I didn't pay much attention but then I realised he was shouting 'can somebody help me!' I dropped what I was doing and shot through the house mobile in hand, told Tob that there was somebody shouting help me and ran round the back to see where it was coming from, half expecting to find someone stuck on a roof or something.
It was a very old gentleman, in his doorway. His wife had gone for some chips 2 hours ago and not returned, he was blind and he said she'd got memory problems and might have forgotten how to get home. I asked loads of questions tried to find out if he had any family in Ely and ended up calling the police to see if they had found anyone or if they could send someone out. They didn't really do alot, they don't seem to think 2 hours is really missing but for an 80 year old blind man this must have seemed ages. He was very upset and very worried about his wife. I spent about an hour trying to call their kids and friends to no answer, the out of hours doctor and eventually just tried to settle him down with a cup of coffee, finally after about an hour she walked in through the back door! Phew! She was a bit puzzled about the commotion but admitted to him she'd walked too far and had to sit down for a rest. She was also 80, very fit 80 and if she's able to walk for a couple of hours that puts her fitter than most of the adult population! It was quite upsetting to be sitting there with a lovely old man who could no longer see and was completely reliant on his wife. Luckily she's fit as his he, but the saddest part was finding the address book and there being only one page with just 6 numbers on it, their 2 son's, a doctor and 2 friends.

No comments: