Wednesday, September 07, 2005

back to work tomorrow

Three days off work, didn't manage to see the doctor today, I had an appointment at the wrong surgery!!! How crap is that? I have found the right surgery and have an appointment for Monday. I need to get the ball rolling again to have my left leg sorted out - it's wider than my right leg due to a flappy valve in my thigh. If they burn it shut and take out the vein, it should return to normal. It was scheduled this time last year, then got cancelled and cos the new date was after moving up to Ely, I said I'd sort it out up here.
I was off cos I had some viral thing, my glands were up, my head felt like it was full of goo and I basically was good for nothing but sleep for up until yesterday. I'm back now, and back to work tomorrow. I did take the opportunity to join the library this afternoon and have a healthy selection of history books - the Oxford illustrated history of Tudor and Stuart Britain, the history of the fens and a bit of light reading Girl with a pearl earring - I have just seen the film and fancy reading the book. My fascination with history is becoming like a pet, the more I feed it the bigger it gets, it seems to revolve around religious history and the context/superstitions that put people under. I'm in process of unraveling the restoration period how Protestantism came to be, the church of England, then the reformists, Quakers, Calvinist etc. It's all about 'how am I saved' from what I can tell for the common person but they are pawns in the power and politics that sway from monarch to monarch. It's all about context for me, it's helping me to understand the context of this country. Don't ask me to explain. On honeymoon, I opened up lots of doors into history, pre history too from Avebury and Uffington, to 5 mile chapels and alms houses I want to know more!
Oh and Excel for dummys. I consider myself quite a wizz with excel but I'm fully aware that I still only use about 15% of it's bits and doodars. See what I find out...
To top it off I grilled lamb leg steaks with some garam masala, made some veg curry and pan fried some new potatoes in mustard and cumin seeds with a bit of colour - yellow sweet peppers and fresh flat leaf parsley. Yum. I think there's still abit of apple crumble left for afters...
Toby is patiently trying to install a wireless network while i tap away, feet up on the couch. The telly's off, it's quiet. I might switch it on at 9, see what's in the radiotimes... The network doesn't want to install on tobys crappy pc, he says it's designed to wind him up. Fingers crossed. Tobes reading the other book I got from the library, Mark Steel, Reasons to be cheerful, a biography of a committed trouble maker growing up in the 80's. It looks like it's cheered Tobe up, the computer is chugging away as it re boots for the umteenth time. Maybe before long the bright blue Ethernet cables that trail round the room like rivers on a satellite picture will go and I can tap away anywhere in the house I like. OK what's on telly tonight?

No comments: