Thursday, September 15, 2005

Dutch Master

Just finished Girl with a pearl earring, the book of the film of the painting. Jan Vermeer's Girl with a pearl earring, the Mona Lisa of the north. The story made up based on what factual background they had about Jan Vermeer plus the times, 1660's in Delft, the plague etc. Amazing really captured my imagination. That period in History is incredible, so many things were being descovered yet the cruelty and hardship that most people had to live with for one reason or another is unimaginable now.
What really struck me was how in the book, it's narrated from the point of view of the girl in the painting. Her wit and intelligence coupled with a real understanding of her place in the world. Some things haven't changed, we all have our place even now, it's very unconcious and unspoken. I know how to behave at my work. I know my place. I have alot more freedom than she would have had but the principle is the same. What I find really interesting is how different that is when you don't take it personally. It is after all made up anyway and not by those around us playing the game, they are as much part of the game as anyone. Noone is above playing their part in life. We all fit in somehow.
I really enjoyed the book. I've ordered volume one of the Pepys Diary, that will be my next read I think. I still have a load of history books floating around for haveing nose in and a brouse when the fancy takes me.
Now that the LRP weekend is cancelled I will try to get down to the library on saturday.
And so to bed.

1 comment:

Jo said...

Hi! I am from Chile (south america) and i saw that movie...when i was in Holland...i learn a lot about J. Vermeer, i went to the museums and one of the best pieces of him was The Girl with the pearl earring...amazing!