Friday, April 21, 2006

13 weeks and 2 days - it's kicking!

Well I can't feel any thing just yet but I did experience strange fluttering 'down there' yesterday afternoon. When it dawned on me what it might be it felt like I'd just been told the best secret ever and everything around me faded into the background while I had that moment and smiled.

Last night we went to the Rosie for the Nuchal Scan where they measure the skin on the back of the baby's neck and if it's over a certain size it can indicate possible chromosomal abnormalities linked to things like Downs Syndrome. As I'm over 35 it was recommended we do it so we did!

It was a very posh scan machine and the doctor was much nicer than the one from the Dating Scan a fortnight ago, she even warmed the gel...
The Baby was moving around, doing handstands, arms moving around, legs kicking, he/she twisted and turned, going upside down and round. We could see the heart bouncing up and down, the spine and at one point she pointed out his/her stomach inside so the organs are all forming too. He/she was moving so much she couldn't get the neck skin measurment so I got sent off to get a drink and walk around while she saw the next patient, then we went back in again 20mins later. Pumpkin had indeed settled down a bit and was reclined enough for her to take the statutory number of measurments to enter into the computer to work out the risk of Downs.

According to her findings everything is good, Baby is growing the right amount since the last scan, everything's in the right place and the skin thing was small. For my age, the risk was something like 1 in 300 chance of Downs and with the measurments and data they collected from the scan the risk went down to about 1 in 1900 which was the equivelent of a 15 year old's risk factor. So far so good. I've booked for my blood sample for the final part of the analysis next week.

Tob and I were very happy with the findings and having spent rather longer than expected looking at our offspring wriggling about we were very triumphant. I suggested Mexican food was in order so we went to a reasonable Tex Mex place I'd spotted a while back down on the other side of the river from Darwin College (if anyone knows of any proper Mexican Restaurants in Cambridge, please let me know).
I managed to keep it down, which with evening and morning sickness still happening I was very relieved.

As a certain someone else once said, From nothing we are made.

No comments: