Friday, February 09, 2007

the smell of saxophone

Every once in a while, I peruse the musical instruments on Ebay. Up to now, I've considered when I want to get back into something musical - play with other people, have lessons etc to play something other than Sax, the instrument I played for 20 years of my life before selling it when I came back to England in 2002 to pay for my fitness instructor training.
I looked at the saxophones, and especially the Yamaha's. I had a Yamaha YTS 62 as a teenager, we had to sell it when we fell on hard times at one point midway through the 80's and then later when my Dad inherited his Aunt's house, he bought me another one, this time a Yanagasawa. I'd wanted a King Tenor, but we got sold the Yanagasawa, a decent Sax but without the character of the King.
A new YTS 62 is about one and a half grand, second hand about a grand. When I looked at the pictures of them on ebay, I could smell the sax, see the keys, feel my breath warming up the cold brass. One day, when Leon's at school and I'm getting him into music, I will get another sax, have lessons and join a band again. It's the first time since I sold the Yanagasawa in 2002 that I've felt this way about the sax. 20 years is a long time. I am even considering pretending I want to buy a sax and go and try a few next time I'm up in London, just to have a play.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: