Wednesday, September 19, 2007

First steps




Each day he is developing further. I can read books to him twice and they hold his attention, quite often he will go through the book again for a third time on his own (well in his own way) he points to the dragons and pretty much finds the dragons first time, he finds the flaps hard to open at times but with a hint he usually gets it now. His top two teeth are starting to show, his cheeks were glowing today, we managed to distract him from letting the grumpiness come through. He took two steps between Ellen and I on his own. I don't think he intended to and it couldn't be replicated but it shows his balance is improving by the day. He will walk pretty much all the time with just one hand, only wanting two if he wants extra speed or if he's tired. At lunch time, he was pretty grumpy and impatient so I gave him his veg pasta by putting a blob of it in his bowl and just giving him the spoon and letting him get on with it. He did very well for a first try, didn't actually eat much of it but kept putting the spoon in the blob of food then putting it in his mouth. The fact that he didn't throw the spoon on the floor, scoop out the contents, throw them at me, dislodge the bowl and sticky mat and throw them on the floor was for me, the major win. I basically ignored him and got on with tidying up the kitchen, which seemed to work. When I came to feed him, I fed him from the bowl in front of him and he ate the lot, and a yoghurt. This evening, I did the same, again, he ate the lot followed by a whole banana. He wasn't bothered about eating that himself and I broke bits off and fed it to him. There was a nice closeness that isn't always there during his tea. Especially if he's tired, he can be really awkward - he eats most of it eventually (yesterday not - too full of cake!) but it can be a real case of patience and more patience.
He's going to bed really quickly lately, he's so knackered at the end of the day, after a bath and a 7oz bottle, he's asleep before his head hits the proverbial mattress.

No comments: