Friday, September 07, 2007

Tumble tot








Today started out as one of the most frightening and upsetting but fortunately no harm was done days so far in my life as a Mum. I forgot to close the stair gate at the top of the stairs after breakfast and while I was putting some toys out for Leon in his room he was off on the landing finding something else to chew. I came on to the landing to see him fly down stairs, rolling, bouncing all the way down, crashing into the stair gate at the bottom. I followed him, wailing and crying as loud as Leon was crying. I picked him up, we were both screaming at this point, Leon started to calm down faster than I did. Apart from being a shaken and a bump on his forehead he was fine. I was in bits! Tob must have only left about 30 seconds earlier. I rang him crying ' Leon's fallen down the stairs but seems to be OK, I'm in bits can you come home please' About a minute later he was back home, he rang the doctors and got us an appointment in 20 minutes. We took him to the surgery where the doctor confirmed he was completely fine. I will never not close that stair gate again! We tended to only close it while Leon was awake, and for example evenings once he's in bed, just leave it open, hence my forgetting to close it on the way up this morning. It made me think how much of a parent's day is just about keeping the little buggers alive, whether it be in the bath, at the park, in the home etc.

We went for a walk round the Roswell Pits and along the Ouse this afternoon with Sarah and Leah, 14 months and Sarah confessed a couple of her recent near misses. It's like belonging to the 'I dropped my baby' club.

Pictures are all taken recently since we've been back, as Leon is becoming ever more loud, inquisitive, engaging, handsome and interested in ducks.

No comments: