Monday, September 03, 2007

Our boy is back!

After a week of waking up almost every 20 minutes from about 1am to 4am every night, Leon is back to normal - sleeping through, maybe waking once. We went to a party in London on Saturday and left Leon with Ellen and Dan. This was very brave of Ellen considering she might have been faced with Leon awake all night, but no, he woke once and with not much more than a kind word and a teddy went back to sleep. Amazing! While Toby and I were sleeping off drinking bright green cocktails, he was perfectly happy asleep with his Nana and Grumps. Sunday night I thought I'd take the weekend as a sign that the breast feeding - most importantly at night were doing more harm than good - they settled him to sleep only to wake again as soon as he worked out I wasn't there.
Last night I gave him a bottle before bed, he went down awake, if more or less zonked and ready to sleep, then woke just the once around 2am. I'd prepared myself for this by having the bottle ready with the water measured and exactly the right amount of formula so it would just need mixing, I didn't warm it up. For some strange reason Tob got up and said he'd try to settle him, it worked/was working but just as it seemed he was off to sleep he changed his mind. I laid there awake listening as Leon's crying got less and less, my milk started to dribble out like Leon had turned on the tap, I got a towel to catch what was rapidly becoming a puddle in the bed. Toby asked me to take over. I was pretty much sure I'd not give him any breast but try the formula first, after trying for a while just to cuddle and settle him without a feed. He downed the 5oz bottle, my first thought being oops, maybe he will want more but after a quick cuddle he settled back down in his cot and was off to sleep, not waking until about 6.30am, but instead of crying he went back to his usual pattern of talking to himself until about 7.10 when he made it clear he was wanting to get up.
I'm officially stopping the breast feeding, he's had 10 months and it seems best. He seems fine for it. For the time being I will be walking around with 2 pints of liquid stuck to my chest until it gets reabsorbed by my body again. It's a bit sore but I know it won't be for long.

No comments: