Monday, September 10, 2007

Leon's first cold

After a lovely afternoon at a 1st birthday party along with a dozen other babies of a similar age and their parents on Saturday, we got home a little later than Leon's usual routine. Leon brought back up his tea along with a load of mucus, which I guess instead of running out of his nose was going straight into his tum. He was very grumpy, which we put down to tiredness, so we skipped the bath, gave him a big bottle of milk and he was asleep in seconds. By 9pm, give or take, we heard a bit of coughing and crying, Tob went up to find him all snotty and bunged up. He settled down after another bottle but kept waking up with snot everywhere and coughing. He was very much into sleep so was easy to settle down again, mostly not even needing to be picked up. We kept taking his temperature, but it was normal - just a cold. After the umteenth wake up, Tob set up camp on the floor on Leon's floor and I got the bed to myself from about 2am to 6am, when we swapped over. Tob said, Leon was never awake for very long but mostly needed repositioning and a nose wipe every so often. We put the head end of the cot slightly higher with blankets under the mattress to aid the mucus going down, which seemed to make a difference. In the morning, I gave him a very steamy bath and shower which helped clear him out, even if he is still very suspicious of the shower. Most of Sunday we hung out with him, both like zombies, wiping the stream of snot from his nose, giving him plenty to drink. At bedtime, I filled the bathroom up with steam with the shower, then filled the bath so he had another steam session, this worked a treat and he went to bed easily, breathing freely. He woke about 10.30 for a top up feed, then slept through to 7am. It seems to have completely gone in 24 hours!
I was a bit sceptical that I stop breast feeding for a week and he gets his first cold - there might well be a connection there, but he's fine now. My boobs are still leaking but I'm holding out and he's not missing them - I make sure they are always covered around him so as not to remind him.
Leon's eating my purse on the floor next to me, it's lunch time so this might be some sort of hint....

No comments: