Monday, September 18, 2006

Corr excellent cd...

I've been buying various CDs mainly for Bbob to listen to while I go to sleep - he gets his fair share of Ska, Metal, punk, Goth and and alternative during the day either on 6music or in the Car but I wanted to give him the benefit of a bit of Mozart and Bach among other things so I bought a few of the obvious bits of organ music, cantatas I've always liked but never got round to getting, I guess my parents had them cos they were inprinted on my brain anyway along with the Archers theme tune.

In the process of searching for the bits I wanted, I've come accross some fab Cello music, Yo Yo Ma, for one. I got a double album of peices performed by him on his cello with everything from The good the bad and the ugly, to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, to my favorite Bach thing but done on a cello rather than as a cantata with choir. I do love a bit of cello.

Then theres Arvo Part, a russian composer I've descovered on the Freak Zone on BBC6, also quite a find. It's like depeche mode meets stravinsky played on everything from just violin and piano to dirty great church organs - just not the sort of thing you expect from a church organ. He's been around for decades.

The corr excellent was something completly different though, when I got home today there was a 'new' Kraftwerk CD - Tour de France Soundtracks on the doormat. It's recent for them - 2003 and absolutley fantastic. I have some remixes on Spin Tapes I used to use for teaching indoor cycling and this is more and better. Believe it or not, I got it because it's good endurance music I might find useful in labour. Ok sounds mad but the breathing in it might just work. Even if I don't go near it in labour, I plan to find a way to combine it with anything vaguely with 2 wheels and headphones as soon as I've been signed off by the doctor to exercise.

No comments: