Monday, May 28, 2007

Did someone say we were getting a new bank holiday in October?

It would sure get better weather than the ones in May. I must be one of the many poor souls who got really really cold yesterday in my Birkenstock's and summer jacket. At least I had the sense to dress Leon sensibly. In his GAP dustbin man's mack (it's bright yellow and has reflective bits) from the car boot sale a while back (no I don't buy baby clothes if I can avoid it, let alone in GAP).
Yesterday we went on a long journey...down the M11, round the M25 and the M2 all the way to Herne Bay in the yucky rain, so not great driving conditions either. It was for a fabulous new second hand Silver Cross pram - I think it's a 1990's breed, still with the old fashioned under bit with huge shopping basket but the upper bit is completely adjustable from lying flat to sitting up, forward or rear facing. The whole thing folds down and even gets in the back of the Jazz which I thought was a miracle. I was expecting we would have to put the seats down. It was good for me, and unfortunate for the sellers. Their starting bid on Ebay was 9.99, no one else bid but me so I got a pristine - even the wheels are clean and new, with all it's bits, raincover etc Silver Cross for £9.99. The catch being pick up only so that makes it £40 including petrol. I'm going to sell the Jane pushchair as this one would replace that and I should get at least £40 for that, either on Ebay or at the next car boot/nct sale.
We had lunch in Herne Bay but it was a bit of a depressing place, especially with the fabulous Bank Holiday special weather. We took the new wheels for a spin round Canterbury - I managed to work out how to set it up for Leon, rain cover and all, he seemed to really like it as he's got plenty of room, he's facing me and the hood and rain cover meant that he didn't get wet but the massive opening could stay open and he could see normally rather than from behind plastic. It pushes really well, the suspension is a dream and we got all round Canterbury Cathedral, steps and all in a dignified manner. I must admit, when I should have been admiring the magnificent seat of the English Church for the past 1000 years (don't quote me on that, dates wise) I was admiring the pristine condition of the pram quite a bit.
We only had an hour or so in Canterbury which was a shame but now I know how beautiful it is there, once Michelle moves there for her double Masters at the uni there after the summer, we will be down there like a shot. We got fed by Ali and Si, our next and final stop in Kent, in Paddock Wood. Si cooked us a delicious meal and we sat and chatted until we left about 9pm. Leon was really good, he'd been asleep probably more than usual as we'd been in the car quite a bit during the day, so he was bright as a button. His meals were a bit out of sync too but he handled it beautifully. I wouldn't do it too much, but it's nice to think that with a bit of forward planning and playing to his needs (we did have to stop once on the duel carriage way and feed him) he is really flexible when needs must. He slept all the way home, I fed him when we got back about 11pm and put him into a real nappy (disposables all day, of course) before putting him down for the night. He woke about 6am for a feed, then went back to sleep until gone 8am giving us a partial lie in. I let Toby sleep in while I did the usual breakfast. He was out of sync for his morning feed, and didn't sleep all morning making lunch a right drama, he was more interested than sleep than mango pudding so we gave up after a couple of mouth fulls and he's been asleep since (couple of hours ago now). With any luck he'll wake mid afternoon and then go to bed at his normal 7pm. This will be the interesting bit where we see if he can slot back into his routine in a day or if it takes longer. We will have more long day trips over the summer as well as a few holidays/long visits to friends and relatives and I want to get the right balance between not messing him about sleep and food wise too much but at the same time not going all Gina Ford. I think by anticipating how hungry or tired he's likely to be we can create the right conditions wherever we might be. That's the plan anyway.
I spoke to Janet on the phone today, had a nice long chat, told her about the umteenth pram we are acquiring 2nd hand - this is our 4th including the £7 back baby carrier with wheels and she admitted she went through 3, 2 in the first year and she said this is not uncommon for first time mums to find their pram needs not being met. It is the advantage of going for 2nd hand ones. I would imagine spending £200 - £600 on a new one, you might not get any sympathy with your husband when you turn round and say, this pram isn't doing it's job! Talking of £600 prams I saw someone with a bugaboo (wash yer 'ands! - this is a reference to a Harry Enfield and Paul Whitehouse sketch where a chav couple spend a fortune on baby stuff and insist on everyone washing their hands with that gel stuff every 30 seconds). An Appleton sister lookalike with a 4x4 was returning to her car and we wanted their parking space in Canterbury. I watched with interest to see how this £600 monstrosity of a pram doesn't even fold without taking the seat bit off! So for £600 you get a funky looking pram that you even have problems getting into a 4x4. I was actually very happy, not for her but that middle class satisfaction when the working classes who actually have more money (or debt) than the middle class, buy stuff we sensible folk balk at. Money eh, doesn't make yer clever.
Yep it's still raining at a 45 degree angle. Tob is making Steak and Ale pie bought on the farmers market, followed by cherry pie also bought on the farmers market on Saturday. We have discovered a couple more amazing stalls selling local lamb and beef at prices that beat Waitrose better quality - so not as cheap as Iceland but not really more than you'd pay for a good joint in a supermarket. If anyone's got enough time on their hands to still be reading my idol ramblings, go make yourself a cuppa.

No comments: