Friday, June 27, 2008

What day is it?






This week has just flown by, the first couple of days back home were chaos as you can imagine, both of us seemed to leave a trail of half done tasks like trying to empty the dishwasher or put stuff away, answer emails, open post. I knew as much so we haven't really stressed about it.
Here's my account of the last few days, I will go into a bit of detail, partly for my own posterity, it is our blog and for the other mum's out there who might be interested. During active labour, I got a good momentum going with frequent contractions, helped with gas and air. I was upright, sitting or kneeling mainly. The midwife had got my notes from the first time round and read that I'd hemorrhaged the first time and wanted to do a blood test to see if I needed to have a cannula put in in case I needed to be put on a drip afterwards for any reason. Turned out my platelets had dropped (my sick sense of humour wanted to ask if it had anything to do with how much mint choc chip icecream I've consumed in bowls rather than small plates in the past 9 months but I kept quiet). So in went the cannula, ready for whatever would happen next - I think they were already planning a platelet bag. The birth came and went, Reuben was born to Leftfield, Leftism which track, I really can't remember. If he turns out left handed I won't be surprised. I gave birth on my back in the end, I remember roaring like a lion and that my buttocks still ache. It was a lovely calm holding him, he cried quite a bit which seemed really normal, getting those lungs working. Then feeding, it took a while for him to get the idea but he did and fed very well. I got to spend those moments that last time I was busy being jumped on while I hemorrhaged after Leon. This time round I got to witness Reuben as he looked around and came into the world, then the midwife gave me a tour of my placenta, again, I'd missed this with Leon.
I had to have surgery immediately after Reuben's birth, well, the notes say 1st stage - active labour 3hours and 20mins, 2nd stage - the bit when you are allowed to push which with Leon took about 40 mins was 2 minutes!!! so as you can imagine I tore rather badly. My own fault, I pushed and out he came. The 3rd degree tear had to be fixed in theatre under general anaesthetic (I turned down the spinal block - don't like needles in my spine, thankyou). So at 4am, having given birth, successfully breast fed Reuben and had a doze, I was signing a consent form and praying that I woke up again and got to see my son's marry etc. I woke up at 6am with a very dry throat indeed desperate for water but otherwise just a bit groggy. They did a brilliant job and I'm healing really well with very little discomfort at all.
The ward was really quiet, Monday night I'd already had my catheter removed and they were satisfied with my recovery, I went for a pee in about 2am and last time the place was heaving with crying babies and miserable looking women who had just had their children removed from their abdomens, complaining about how their epidurals had made their legs funny. This time there was just 2 of us on the ward. The knock on effect was lots of attention, checks, tests came back quickly and discharge papers, which still take an age, were ready by the following lunchtime. I felt so much more relaxed and happy throughout the whole process.
We got home Tuesday afternoon, I think the first thing I did was put a wash on and get it out on the line. It was a sunny windy day so I knew it would be dry in a couple of hours. Reuben is longer than Leon was and the sleep suits I expected to use are too short so I had to re-visit my 18months worth of baby clothes (only the 0-3m bag) and dig out stuff to use, some of which needed washing.
The first night was long and hard. It was about 25 degrees and a bit too hot, I felt, to swaddle him so he wiggled and wiggled, unable to stop long enough to fall asleep. My milk is only just coming in so he was feeding little and often what he could get and eventually after much deliberation, Toby slept downstairs on the sofa and Reuben had my side of the bed while I could feed him lying down and when he did drop off, move over to the other side of the bed to sleep. This way I didn't have to move Reuben once asleep. I suspect the futon smells of me so he felt more comfortable sleeping on it than in the moses basket too. It worked well and eventually from about 6am to 10am we got a good block of sleep. Poor Tobe was up with Leon about 6am and downstairs with him, playing and watching Cbeebies.
2nd night, I'd washed and dried the grobag swaddling blanket (special shape and light stretchy material, good for hot weather) he peed on while were in hospital so I could swaddle and feed him to sleep which meant he went longer between feeds. He was awake between 4am and 6am when Leon woke up so again, Tob was downstairs with Leon and Reuben and I shared the double bed. 3rd Night was similar. My milk is coming in, I've invested in cold cabbage leaves :) Some of the time I'm simply a human dummy. We have the shop bought variety too but like Leon, I doubt he'll stick with it beyond about 2 months. The baby swing from Tob's parents is brilliant for giving me a free pair of hands. Reuben wont stay in it for long though, usually because he wants his human dummy. I'm doing alot of one handed typing at the moment that's for sure.
I was on my own with the two of them for the first time this afternoon while Tob went to get his hair cut. I managed pretty well, including bringing the washing in before it rained - one handed Reuben in the other.
I need a coffee! (decaf unfortunately, but a coffee none the less.....and chocolate.)

No comments: