Friday, January 05, 2007

6 week check update (at 9 weeks)

For those interested. Leon had his 6 week check yesterday. After getting home about 10pm on Wednesday, having to wake him up from a deep, deep sleep in order to change him and feed him, he was really fed up. He had slept so much and hadn't really fed much during the journey despite being offered, he was more interested in sleep it seems. But having been woken up, he was well annoyed. Tob managed to get him off to sleep, he wouldn't sleep for me - I'm the rotter who woke him up for no good reason. This resulted in him waking for a feed at 2am and 6am. All the while we were in Holland, he would sleep from a 10pm - midnight feed at least until 7am, sometimes 9am.
Thursday morning, I got up all bleary eyed after his 6am feed and proceeded to start the unpacking process as well as get us both ready for our 6-8 week checks first thing at the GP's.
Mine consisted of a few questions, the answers were all 'fine' 'excellent' and 'not a problem' he told me about a few things to watch out anemia wise but I'm pretty sure I'm fine.
Then came Leon's. It was on the other side of the hospital in the child health bit which is always impossibly hot because all the babies have to strip off to be weighed. It must be about 28 degrees which it just not neccesary and just gets us all sweaty. Leon started yelling due to the heat and even when stripped to the nappy for the check, he was well peeved. He was destractable enough to get through the tests. He's now 60cm long, the first time they've done his legnth. His head is now 36.5cm around, it was 33cm when he was born and he is 5.14kg or 11lbs and 5oz. He is holding his line just under the 25th centile.
I dressed him but left him undressed enough not to over heat in the hospital, by the time I'd got to the exit and went to put his coat on, he was spark out so I zipped him in without putting his arms in the sleeves, to avoid becoming the subject of his wrath (he really doesn't like being woken).
Last night he slept from 11pm until 6am, it looks like thanks to the time difference, 7am in Holland is most definatly 6am here. I wonder if somehow I can get him sleeping that extra hour.
Ah well, from a 9pm feed, asleep by 11pm to wake up at 6am, I can't complain.

No comments: