Sunday, January 21, 2007

Sleep and eat routines - comments welcome!

I've read umpteen books on routines, sleep, feeds etc and there is so much conflicting stuff out there. I've tried to wade my way through and do what I think is best for Leon; short and long term. So far I've been demand feeding - he goes fairly long periods between feeds so it has worked well, he is flexible and enables me to go out and about. I use my common sense to work out if I'm likely to expect him to be getting hungry. I make sure he gets between 6-8 feeds a day, this is more like 6 now as he gets older and I've read that at 3 months it will be more like 5.
Sleep has been good too. He sleeps up to 6 hours in the day, usually split up into a bit in the morning and a bit in the afternoon, depending on where I am and what I'm doing and he was going to bed by 9pm and sleeping through until 7am. Having read all the bumph, it seems what will get him sleeping 7 to 7 by 4 months will be putting him down by 7pm, waking him at 10 for a feed, then he sleeps through until 7am. At 4 months, drop the 10pm feed and he should do 7-7.
I got him sleeping from 10pm to 7am so it should be straight forward. Thing is, the last week, he's been waking at 4-6am every other night as I've been bringing his bedtime forward to 8-9 from 9-10pm.
My dilemma is: do I wake him at 10pm if I put him down at 7pm? I've not been keen on waking him for feeds and I could just have him wake in the early hours, which would then stop when he was ready to sleep though at around 4months. One theory is that I could end up with him getting used to the night feeds. However by waking him at 10pm, he gets the food top up and we get to drop the feed when we think he's able to go through and he's not got the night feed habit.
He woke at 4am this morning hungry, having had the 10pm wake up feed, I'm hoping that within a week he will settle in to the routine and stop waking at 4am. He hasn't stopped waking at 7am ish so that's still his waking time. As it is, if he does wake in the night, I let him cry for a minute or 3 before going to him (usually because I need a wee first anyway!). Then I feed him in the dark and avoid changing him so he doesn't wake up too much and the interaction can't become something for him to look forward to.
It will start getting light earlier in the coming weeks; we will get to see if black out curtains will be needed. I prefer not to, as I disagree with Gina Ford on the kids need darkness to sleep thing. At the moment, providing it's not too distracting and noisy (kids screaming etc as appose to supermarket noises/white noise), he sleeps anywhere.
I started the new routine yesterday, Leon went down today fine as he's had a tiring day, lots to take in, and what sleep he did get at Sarah's was short and distracted by chatting and kids. He fed for about an hour on and off and was out like a light. Last night he took about 20 minutes once he was in his cot, as he'd had a long late sleep in the afternoon. Tob does the new 10pm feed, a bottle expressed from the night before, I used one from the freezer last night and tonight, last night's is there. Once we drop the 10pm feed, I can express and freeze that feed for babysitting opportunities.
Right now, I'm enjoying having the whole evening to myself rather than entertaining Leon early evening.

No comments: