Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Leon sleeping badly

(NB this post and previous post written yesterday, but blogger was down)

Well Leon's been a handful today. It's probably because his sleep was disturbed last night, coming back from Chantal's some time early in the morning, but he's been very needy all day. I comforted him this morning so Christine could get an hour or so of undisturbed sleep - being in the same room she wakes for every snuffle. He's been feeding a lot during the day, every 2-3h, which is quite a lot for him as he's been going 3-4h recently. He's also been very loath to go to sleep - more than usual I mean! He's just had a feed, so we're hoping that'll keep him going for a decent number of hours so we can catch up with our sleep.

I've got to mention Christine's mum, Margaret, who seems to have a knack of getting Leon off to sleep. We've learnt a new technique from her - holding him close, with a dummy, so that he can't wriggle and he can't spit out the dummy. He doesn't like it one bit - he tends to scream and thrash about for a minute, but then just drop off - out like a light! It just depends on the day though - earlier I just laid him across my legs and rocked, no dummy, and he drifted off.

BTW, earlier today it struck me that I'm going to have to go back to work in a couple of days. At least it's only Thur and Fri, then I get the w/e to recover! I should start getting my time frame sorted out - we've been going to bed later and later. Actually I seem to remember an experiment where people lived in a self-contained box for some time and they naturally settled down to a 25h day. Which is a bit weird. Oh, just looked it up - more recent experiments put it at 24h 11min, and they say we just stay up late on weekends because of the electric light. So "Can't blame me for being late, it's just biology guv" won't cut it any more :(

Still, it was lovely today, sitting on the settee, either having Leon on my knee or holding him so he could see what was going on around him or rocking him until he was asleep in my arms. I'm going to miss him when I'm at work. I think I've really bonded over these holidays - he's just starting to smile at me and Christine. And sometimes he'll open his mouth wide, almost like a yawn, in a big joyful gummy smile which is just lovely to see. Now I know what they mean when they say babies are a bundle of joy :)

No comments: