Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sleep routines - update

He's been in the new routine just over a week and it's going really well. At first he woke up 2 or 3 times in one night, it threw his sleeping through right out. Gradually, by letting cry after the initial check to see he's OK or giving him a dummy, he's down to waking up between 5-6am the last few days which I can almost count as sleeping through again.
Tob was fantastic, he's got a really good way of getting Leon off to sleep which has been invaluable getting to this point - Say if Leon woke at 3am, I'd check him, then let him fall back to sleep, this could involve lots of crying, if he didn't settle down by 10 mins, Tob would give him his dummy and then hold his hands until he fell asleep. He showed me how he did it and I've tried it but I think because he wants me to feed him, he doesn't settle as well as he does for Tob. I'm not so worried about letting him cry, so long as I know he's OK I will use the 'controlled crying' method which involves letting him cry and checking every 5 minutes, the longest we've had to go has been 15 minutes. Tob doesn't have the patience with the crying and will get up and settle him. So by combining the two we've brought his first wake up later and later and the last couple of days it's been after 5am.
I'd like him to sleep through until 7am but he's 3 months now and it's possible that he needs the food as even with the 11pm top up, he's starving when I feed him at 5am. I express 150ml for the 11pm feed, which is the max I can fit into a 125ml bottle so I'd have to go up a bottle size! Thinking about it, it might get him to sleep through though. Tob says, he downs the bottle and wants more so there's a good chance he might. Hmmm, bigger bottle.
Tob's just fed him, and given him the extra 3oz I expressed earlier today on top of the 5 oz he'd normally have and we will see what happens. This will mean expressing more milk everyday, oh well...Moooo!

No comments: