Thursday, March 22, 2007

Number 9 bus to Cambridge

I decided it was high time I visited my work with Leon again, have lunch with Rosanna and Becs and take Leon on a real day trip involving public transport. I thought, wisely to do a practice run by taking the pram on the bus as from round the corner just into town so as to spot any thing to make life easier for the journey into Cambridge. But it ended up being a simple case of the buses don't have anyway of getting a pram on other than by folding. Prams (as in a carrycot on wheels) don't fold, more like disassemble, so that put pay to that. No problem, that's what the papoose is for! I combined my handbag and the changing bag without too much problem so as only to have one bag with me. All the old ladies loved Leon on the bus, he got loads of attention and flashed smiles at anyone who looked his way. They all got off in Ely town centre so from Ely to Cambridge, he fed a bit and snoozed most of the way. The bus stopped on Milton road in Chesterton so it was about a half mile walk to Sepura. Kate had a right old fuss pot with Leon and he was all smiles, even chuckling for Fiona who is well into her 3rd trimester. We went to lunch with Rosanna and Becs which was Leon's first trip to the Green Dragon, again, pretty good apart from a minor tantrum when he had to put his coat back on.
Then we walked across to the Grafton Centre, I hoped there was a Halifax there but no luck. I did manage to feed Leon in the feeding lounge at Mothercare which was lovely but busy so to let Leon snooze, we went to Starbucks. That didn't work as he sat there and shouted at every passing woman like a tramp on a park bench so having not found a Halifax and asked Tob to find out where there was one, he found one in the Centre so we took the bus to the centre. Leon fell asleep in the papoose in the queue in the Halifax and snoozed upright while I pottered round a couple of shops. I found the bus stop back to Ely only to discover, I'd missed the hourly bus by 2 minutes. So we went back into town, for a quick feed and change before returning for the bus back to Ely. Again, the old ladies got the Leon treatment, he went from smiley to leery to asleep by the time we approached Ely, shattered not wanting to miss anything that flew past outside or in the bus. He was very good though, I was dreading him having a hissy fit on the bus down to hunger or tiredness or both.
Both Leon and I got back knakkered out, he took a while to settle and I think I will too!
Pictures are Leon, shouting at passers by in Starbucks and him on the bus on the way back all wide eyed and bushy tailed.

No comments: