Friday, December 29, 2006

The Dom

Yesterday we headed into town because I wanted to do some sightseeing - it's been nice visiting friends and having parties but I just wanted to get out, bit of fresh air and all that. We weren't particularly fast out the door (I do believe we managed to get out just after lunch, around 2pm) but that was ok - we didn't have a schedule to keep.

We took the bus into Utrecht and decided to visit the cathedral - the 'Dom'. It was a cold and misty day - I certainly got my 'fresh' air! Here you can just about see the Dom Tower. It's not actually attached to the rest of the cathedral, well not now it isn't. The two halves were once connected by a wooden structure, but it got torn down by a tornado!



One day we'll do the tower tour. For now here's the main part of the cathedral:



The nicely preserved cloisters:



central fountain:



and view over the rooftops:

No comments: