Saturday, December 30, 2006

Inside the Dom

I thought the Dom was beautiful. Simple, almost austere and very tall. When the wooden nave was blown away by a tornado it wasn't rebuilt - instead the church was sealed with a wall which now houses the organ. The entire church is simply the chancel and transepts of the original building.



The church has an interesting curved apse and sacristy, which makes it, I suppose, horse-shoe shaped, but it feels almost oval because the crossing in front of the organ has been left clear.



There's not much stained glass, because a lot was blown out by the tornado, but what remained was gathered into windows at the ends of the transepts. I love the effect created by the lit star hanging in the middle of the south transept:



I also loved these candlesticks which fit perfectly with the stark perpendicular architecture:



And as I'm in an artistic mood, here's a moody shot I took out in the cloisters:

No comments: