Sunday, December 31, 2006

Night shirts and more Nijntje

Just to clarify the pronunciation - it's pronounced Ninetcheyuh from konijntje which is a small rabbit in dutch thus in kiddie speak it's just nijntje - you just pronounce the j as a y and give the e on the end an 'a' sound.
I managed to find two largeish (one size however) Nijntje night shirts with drawstrings and hand bits that go over the hands to prevent them from scratching themselves. They are white with pink bits, I'm sure Leon wont notice. I'm still on the hunt for a couple more so I can get another one for Matthew. They were the last two in the shop and were on offer at 5 euros each so I took the last two. Need more!
We spent this afternoon in the very nice cafe in the V&D store restaurant with Jose and Martine hogging really good seats with a view out over Utrecht. They made a fuss of Leon and we caught up a bit. I think we talked a bit too much baby stuff, I tried to change the subject and talk about some of the good films I've seen recently as Jose and I always used to enjoy our films but baby brain here can't remember the title of anything interesting - Ice Age 2 was about as interesting as I could remember which is frankly disgusting (good film tho' - better than Ice Age 1 )
Leon has already out grown some of the stuff we brought and is into some of the bigger stuff I brought thinking he might be big enough for and is now big enough for - some nice stuff from Matthew for a start.
Since Christmas eve, he's sleeping up to 8 hours at night straight, sometimes a bit longer, which is wonderful for us. It does mean that I've had to ensure feeds more like every 3 hours during the day to get in the minimum 6 feeds in 24 hours. It seems to be working - by the time Leon wakes for a feed in the morning my boobs are exploding so I express one, either just before or just after his first feed. I can express the full 4oz feed in one go and then give the bottle to him last or second to last feed at night when supplies are low. As I said, it seems to be working. I am aware everything is a phase though, especially as we will be heading home in a few days and back to his normal cot rather than the travel cot he's in while we crash at my mums.
Smiles are getting more often too, he tends to reserve them for us but it's more than just a daily occurrence now. They make me go all guey.

No comments: