Tuesday, November 07, 2006

7 days old in 100 acre wood

Tob wrestled with putting together the baby gym last night. It was hilarious and we got the giggles really bad, which wasn't much fun for Leon who was feeding at the time, he was getting a milk shake! This made me laugh even more despite the pain and so it went on, the pain! the pleasure! I insisted that Tob come to bed early with me last night instead of tapping away into the early hours which is what he will do after he’s finished the chores I can’t do. I was so knackered last night and by making him come to bed by 9.30pm he was spark out by 10pm so I’m glad he did.Yesterday morning we were worried about his stinky umbilical cord so we went to the doctors to get it looked at, she took a swab and gave us a cream with instructions to clean it with boiled water and put a cream on it 3x day. It fell off today! hurrah! Leon's feeding is still pretty erratic, he can feed for hours and wake up an hour or so later and feed again for hours or settle for 5 hours like he did the night before last. Last night I hoped for a repeat performance but despite feeding on and off continuously for 2 hours, both boobs up to about 11pm he wouldn't settle so I got Tob to settle him, which usually works as he doesn't smell of breast milk but last night he seemed genuinely hungry. I would put him down and tob was trying to massage my very sore shoulder muscles from all the baby holding while feeding but in the end he got more food after trying everything else, changing, cuddling, winding etc. He was probably a bit colicky, the evenings are supposed to be the worst. After the long feeding, the crying to tire him out, he still woke at 2.22am for a feed and again at 5am, both took ages plus a long time to settle, it was getting light on the 2nd one and still he wouldn't settle so I asked Tob to have a go as he was awake so I could sleep. I slept until 10am and Tob got Leon to settle and he slept until nearly midday, which gave us time for a long breakfast in bed.Then after that feed, we were cooing and having fun with Leon when the rumbling started and rumbled and rumbled. I said, that was quite a big one, we should get him out of that nappy. Tob said, make sure he's finished first. I picked him up and it had gone everywhere! including on the clean last night duvet cover. Tob said 'yeah but...' I said 'no but' and then followed a two parent clean up operation. He's on his 2nd set of day time clothes now too. I've started on the fennel tea to see if that improves his windy crying in the evening. It's all trial and error, I'm finding different ways of winding him and settling him but each day he's changing so all I can do is work it out as we go along. He had the hiccups, which have gone by them self and he's been sleeping since 3pm and it's now 5pm in his bouncer in the wood with the radio on softly in the background. Apparently they can appear awake just before they go into REM sleep and if you mistakenly pick them up and wake them then in this 'eyes open but asleep' state they get well grumpy so I mostly wait for him to start stretching and crying before picking him up for a change and a feed. The changing makes him grumpy enough. He does just go quiet and happy again, the minute he's dressed.
M&D are coming round tonight with dinner which is fabulous. Posted by Picasa

No comments: