Tuesday, November 14, 2006

'late nite' thoughts

Well it feels late, even though it's only half ten. It's been a long day, up at 6.30, cycle to the station, ugg. Get to work to find out there's been a reorganisation. Changes for me:
* I'm gonna be doing more 1st line support, rather than 2nd line. ie getting to know the customers more and dealing with them directly, rather than looking at software bugs. Might be doing bugs again in 6m, we'll see. Might either have staff or work with a team then too, again we'll see. It's a bit different to what I was expecting, and it means an even sharper learning curve but it does mean they're confident I can take it on, which is good.
* I'm moving desk, to be with the hardware support guys. This is good as although I like the people I'm sitting near, work wise I was isolated.
* Instead of 2 bosses, I've got one boss and the second boss has become his boss. So that's all for the better. They're both good bosses in their ways, so that really helps, though my direct line boss has been absent on other projects pretty much all the time I've been there so far! He should be around more from next week on though, which will be good.
So, in the spirit of things, I got Sunrise, the help desk software we use (it logs customer calls) and asked Ines, the customer help desk contact lady (I'm sure she has a more official title) to start routing calls through me as had been decided. We got 3 today, two were dealt with by John who was on site at the time anyway, but the other I took down to James who phoned the customer and I listened in, taking notes (basically I was tuning in to what he asked, with a view to creating a sort of check-list).
This call went on quite late, and I didn't leave until 6 - home at about 7.15. But it was good to really get involved - up to now I'd really done little else but read manuals and write up my notes on how to install/configure the software (which is useful, but I did feel I wasn't very involved with the day-to-day support work).
Generously, Christine had started cooking when I'd phoned to say I'd be later than ususal, and she had a nice veggie pasta bowl waiting for me - the timer went about 10 seconds after I walked in the door, how's that for timing!
After that I changed Leon, and we bathed him, C fed him then I burped him and laid him on me to settle. Except that he didn't. Was he too hot? Too cold? Bored? Overtired? We didn't know. Eventually I gave him back to C who fed him some more. Neither of us can believe how much that lad can feed. Apparently they don't over-feed themselves, and he was weighed today (8lb 4oz) and he's just right for his age. I'm not convinced though, I'm sure he just likes guzzling - at the moment C's falling asleap and so is he, but he's not giving up!
I should probably go to bed myself, starting to yawn, but just wanted a little bit of time to myself.
Before I forget, yesterday I was talking to my dad about car seats (we'd just fitted one to their car so M could take C round to register L today) and I mentioned how stable the one in our car was because it was isofix'd. I said that I supposed car seats were all held in by seatbelts before isofix was invented but my dad said no... when I was a lad there were no seatbelts in the back of cars! I don't know what everyone else back then did but my dad did his own bit of isofixing and bolted my carseat to the chassis of his car - cor!

No comments: