Monday, November 06, 2006

Toby's catch up for 2nd Nov

Leon is 1 day old!

I got up fairly late, 9 or 10 I can't remember. I'd put my camera on charge last night, and now I uploaded the photos off my camera onto the PC. This is now a regular habit.

The problem was I was really very inefficient (or dopey as some might call it). I had to go to the GP for a prescription, but I had to park right at the back of the car park and I missed my slot, so that was a waste of time. I came back and made a couple of calls and wrote a couple of emails, but I was very slow. C phoned wondering where I was, and I stepped up a gear - we needed extra baby clothes, so I threw some into a bag (well, more like 1/2 the wardrobe actually, quite a lot of which was far too big), and a few bits C wanted for herself. I realised that I wasn't doing much good around the house, and I asked my parents if they wouldn't mind tidying up a little for me (which they did, and it was wonderful to come home later to a clean, tidy house, thank you), then I set off.

It was such a pleasure to see Leon and Christine again. C said that at first she was jealous of all the husbands who were there at 10am (I arrived about 1pm), but she reminded herself that I'd stayed an extra 2h after kicking out time, so that was ok.







After lunch Sarah the goth came to visit, with Mathew, her little'un. Nobody had thought that visitor's kids weren't allowed in, so I took Mathew and waited outside while she talked to C. I hope my muscles build up over the next few weeks - Mathew is only 6 weeks and I struggled to carry him (in a papoose) but then I struggle with Leon in the car seat... bit of a wuss I guess!

My parents came in the afternoon, they looked thrilled to see Leon, and it was lovely to be all together. You can see how proud I am :)









Going home. C had had to have a catheter because of the post-natal problems, so we had to wait to have that removed. Then we had to wait until C could demonstrate that her bladder was working correctly. Then we waited for the results of tests... until I asked again and found out that the test was simply could she pass 200ml and we'd been waiting for nothing. But we still needed the tubes removing, so we had to wait for that. And there was a shift change, and nobody knew we wanted to go home... then finally when I said "Could you take the tubes out please, 'cos we'd like to go home", the midwife I spoke to said "oooh, you want to go home! ok!" and finally things got moving. We finally got to leave at midnight!







Leon started throwing up a fuss as we packed. He knew something was up! But when we buckled him into the car seat, he calmed down - it was almost like he knew he was coming with us, whatever was happening.



It was lovely walking out of the hospital. On my various breaks and phone call excursions, I'd seen various dads with car seats going down the short pavement to the car park. And now it was my turn. Nobody was there, but I was proud anyway :)

The first night was hard. We struggled to keep the temperature down - we've got a little nightlight that glows blue (too cold), yellow (just right), orange (warm) or red (too hot) depending on temperature, and we stuck on orange. But every time we changed Leon, he grumbled and cried and shivered. Apparently babies can't shiver, but they waggle their jaw in a good impression... and I'm sure he can shiver you know, his muscles are quite advanced. Anyway, we got him changed, settled etc, and we all went to bed. But he woke, and I went round to him (he's in a moses basket next to C) to comfort him. The only way he'd settle was holding my finger, with his fist in his mouth. I wanted C to have a good rest, so I sat there for an hour or so I guess, until the light came up, C took over, and I collapsed into a deep sleep.

1 comment:

Glidergoth said...

Great pics - the ones with your parents really look like studio shots : ) Proud grandparents.

You think Matthew's heavy?! Try Elizabeth. Matthew's still under a stone.

Matthew still does that chin-trembling thing. We always put it down to hunger - he does it on the breast too near the end of a feed when he's dozing off and not really trying any more :)