Monday, November 27, 2006

Busy few days, I like weekends; Tob is around so when there's a nappy to change, I can say 'your turn!' We had fun with him and Tob's really taken it in his stride, getting into doing baby stuff during the weekend.
We tried the swaddling blanket I got on Friday - it's specially designed and isn't too thick or rigid. It worked well Saturday night - Hans and Simone came round late afternoon to meet Leon and when it came to putting him to bed he went down pretty quickly.
Last night was a different matter and he really took offence to having his arms down and inside the swaddling. It just made him angrier and angrier - everytime he's woken up having been swaddled Saturday night and last night, he'd wriggled his arms free, I thought I was pretty good at getting him swaddled without it being too tight, the cloth holding in place with his body as it is meant to be. The material is stretchy so with determination, he always gets his arms out. I worry he will get cold as each time I went to him last night, he'd wriggled his upper body right out of it.
It was taken out of my hands about 4.30am this morning when due to a full boob and a guzzling baby, he wouldn't burp properly culminating in chucking what must have been most of the feed back up all down the swaddling blanket - thankfully his sleepsuit was dry, but my dressing gown was soaked and went straight in the wash with all the baby stuff today.
I think I will keep the swaddling blanket for when he's really overtired. In times of need I can wrap him up and feed him to sleep, that seems to be the only time I can get away with swaddling him/swaddling helps get him off to sleep. I thought right from birth he'd be better in the grobag anyway, he seems to sleep best with his arms up by his head.
I've been reading the breast feeding book that Sarah gave me, it has loads of pretty good tips for getting him to sleep in different circumstances, not to mention good tips for how often to feed - I think I've been feeding to often - little bits rather than letting him get properly hungry, the dummy has meant that when he just wants a comfort suck, he doesn't get me, which also means I'm getting more done. The best outcome is less possetting and less tummy ache for him.
I'm just about organised enough to get some cooled weak fennel tea down him before a feed now, it's hard to tell if it's working yet.
Thursday evening, my favorite black cargo pants (maternity ones, but who's counting?) ripped up the bum, leaving me officially with no trousers that fit to speak of. Rest assured I'm doing something about this...on a budget of course.
I better get this posted, Leon's waking up...

No comments: