Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Dad came up yesterday to meet his grandson, they seemed to get on rather well. Leon's been hard work the last couple of days, clingy and won't stop eating and wouldn't sleep for very long. I've experimented with the length of feeds, the temperature, amount of clothing etc and nothing really works. A trip in the push chair usually sets him off to sleep but that's no longer a forgone conclusion either.
He just seemed to want to comfort feed and after an hour and a half of not really feeding, half asleep but whenever I tried to put him down, he'd wake up and start crying and rooting. There was no way he was still hungry and his bum was clean. I suggested we try out a dummy for nighttime as the comfort feeding is giving him bad tummy ache and all he does is puke it back up. After trying everything we could think of, rocking, pushing in the pushchair, bouncing, etc etc we sterilised the Dummies we'd been so reluctant to accept from a friend of Ellen's and gave one to him. He shut up and sucked and we've had peace and quiet for the first time in 3 hours. Both of us feel a bit ashamed as we didn't want to resort to a dummy but in the light of his lack of sleep and tummy ache from over feeding it seemed worth a try. My boobs can recover in time for the next feed coming up very soon.
The last couple of nights I've had him in with me most of the night, he just wouldn't settle so I'd feed him to sleep each time he woke crying. I'm shattered as I've been with him all night both nights, I did doze at times but I would wake with every splutter or snore. I've no idea what I'm doing up this late now other than I thought it a good idea to blog having missed a day. He is still cuddly and adorable, I feel that the dummy has given us a chance to comfort him where before we'd try everything and still he'd be crying.

No comments: